Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Flying Into Tomorrow

"Welcome to San Francisco, we are currently at homeland security threat level orange, if everyone could just act as paranoid as possible that would be great, thaaaaannks."

Actaully the first bit wasn't that bad. All these new regulations are starting to be relaxed a little, or maybe everyone is just starting to get it. From the time I walked into the door till the time I was sitting on my laptop next to the gate was a record 20 minutes. 

It’s a really interesting thing seeing the sun go through so many cycles within a 24 hour period. set-rise-set…and now rise again.

I got into JFK after a brutal red eye out of New York. After trying to figure out where terminal 4 was with a woman who was going back to meet her family in Sudan after 13 years, I ended up at the Dubai ticket counter too early. In fact, this was the best fortune I could have had as I made a UAE friend, Khalif.

After pontificating over economic policy with some guy from Grenada, a girl on her way to Ecuador, and Khalif, Khalif and I jumped in line to go through another security check. I think we might have unintentionally freaked out some people waiting to get into the terminal by talking about 9/11, Iraq, and neoconservative policy in the Middle East while in line. Not that we were talking about anything dodgy. It might not have been the best idea in JFK. I would imagine that the economist I walked around in SFO with touting the headline “Nazrallah wins the war" probably didn’t help me there either.

I am exited to get into Dhaka and see the bank. My first introduction to a Bengali wasn’t exactly what I expected, playing itself out in a spitting incident on the plane. Of course, this was contrasted by the wonderful hospitality of a Bengali guy in the flight crew about my age who offered to introduce me to some people in Dhaka.

I think I'm going to fly back out to dubai next weekend to visit. I am really excited about trying to see it and I don't think the 19 hour layover is going to cut it.

It’s been interesting traveling over Europe at night, most notably Paris and southern Germany. I can’t help but think about all the history and wonder when I’ll actually get to see it on the ground.

Oh and I don’t even know how long it’s been since I slept…. maybe Sunday night in San Francisco.

Hope all is well,

Keith - Somewhere over the Black Sea

Ps please send me your addresses. I'll send you a post card.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home