Thursday, August 24, 2006

First Impressions

I have never before seen or even fathomed a city that pulses with as much raw energy. About the only analogy I can give would be the thought of putting a nitrogen bottle on its side and hitting the top off with a sledge hammer, watching the bottle fly off every which way.

I haven't been able to connect my laptop to the internet yet. The Monsieur said that it had something to do with changing an IP address. Whenever that occurs, I will post some pictures online.

I've met interesting people over here. I forced myself into a regular sleep pattern right away, so yesterday was difficult in the morning.

Yesterday I attempted to register with the embassy, arriving 20 minutes too late because we had to go around some military checkpoint thing. Gulshan/Banani (where the embassy is) are only a few miles away but they feel very different then Mirpur, the district I’m in - relatively more P.O.S.H. The people in Bangladesh have been really nice, although it's nearly impossible with my extremely limited Bangla to communicate.

I should mention, and I'm not sure if you know, but I'm sort of a big deal here. People know me (at least you’d think they do). Tyler was defiantly correct in saying that I would be an anomaly wherever I went. It's true. In America, it's so commonplace to see a cornucopia or different cultures walking down the street. In Bangladesh it's very homogeneous. I attract attention wherever I go. I'm trying to learn some of the language. I know I live in "mirpur ek" and how to ask a rickshaw to get there.

Oh, riding in a rickshaw is a crazy experience. I feel like crazy is the only way I could describe it because there is nothing to compare it too.., especially if you think about getting around the city at night. Something about paying someone about 5 cents to haul you a mile or so down the road is rather unsettling from an American perspective. If I could describe the driving situation over here: picture the 405 at rush hour, add bicycles with boxes, 3 wheeler cabs, no rules, lines on the road that are more weak suggestions then guidelines, and then add that drivers literally drive with one hand on the side of the wheel and one on the horn.

Phone Number in Dhaka: 01720119153

1 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

I loved reading this...I could hear you saying the words in my head as I was reading them...especially the whole, ´"kind of a big deal" part. jajaja....and I definitely feel ya on the whole drawing attention thing...here, in Chile, I´m actually considered a blonde. Crazy huh...I´ve also learned that here it isn´t culturally unpolite to stare. Makes for interesting "contests" on the micro. Miss you tons Shoshman...you remain in my prayers. Ciao y que te vaya bien!

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home