Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lessons

I had some time to sit back yesterday and reflect on this entire experience so far. Tyler was correct in saying that there is much less to see in Bangladesh then to experience. This might change, as I'm thinking about doing my village stint in Khulna, taking a 26 hour boat ride through the sunderbans back up the river to dhaka when finished. Might be kind of expensive though at the equivalent of $9.25 for the boat ride.

I, however, am starting to think in Taka. I decided that my new coffee, or rather chai, shop is on the way to work. Yesterday, a fellow from North Ireland and I ordered dui chai (two chai teas) and talked with some bengali's. Humor works wonders. They all get a kick out of it when we ask them where their from... "Tumi desh scotland"? (literally: your country scotland?) That always gets some laughs.

For however much a break from the norm or rather "a pain in the ass" my view was on Muslims prior to visiting a Muslim country, expect it to be magnified when I return to the states. I realize I am saying this after this mornings new york times healine reads that 2 fox news reporters were released after they converted to islam on tape, but allow me to procede even if the well is poisoned.

I really must say that the beauty of the bengal countryside is only surpassed by the beauty of the bengal people therein. Everyone is soo nice. Yes I'm christian, I explan.. yes I'm from the united states... Absolutely no issues. They honestly invite me in to eat, to see their children, and take pictures. I realize that this probably is not representative of the entire population, nor do I have the right to talk about "all" muslims with my current sample size, but I will say that those I've met are some of the most hospitable, nice, honest, hard working people I have met in my 23 years on this planet.

My experience in Dhaka has been similar. Perhaps because I have been here longer, perhaps becuase I just don't understand the culture, I do think that I met a tad more resistance here. For instance I had one guy say that he could take me with a pillow. (no seriously). By resistance, I mean "amar desh america" (my country america)" is literally replied with "Ok thank you... " Definatly haven't felt threatened because of how I am. Even walking down the street with the equivalent of roughly 1.5 years worth of bengal sallary in camera equipment yields only deer in headlight stares. I am skeptical if it is the same for Muslims walking down the street in the United States.

Additionally, I have had the notion of much of the rest of the world being independently culturally and/or ideologically religious encouraged, if not confirmed. For instance, I talk with one Muslim that is actually quite agnostic, praying only at festivals because he doubts the existance of God. Bangladesh is, in my experience, a much more moderate islamic state then some of of the books i've read prior to my time here led me to beleive. On another note, I'm almost starting to enjoy the 4am "call to prayer" over the loud speakers from the mosque... its kind of like mary had a little lamb in arabic.

Benglai's are also optimistic people. I deduced this from the fact that they still paint lane divider lines on new roads.

Oh, like I was saying before. I got gyped by the Bengali elite. I met someone in Old Dhaka about my age who spoke english well enough to know where I was trying to go. He explained that his dad was a business man and his mom a house wife. He was a first year reading school student (for english). He kind of hurried me through old Dhaka, accross the river, back over a bridge and into old dhaka again. After which he introduced me to his friend. First thing I hear is do you have 50 taka. (under 1 dollar). Sure I say. Next thing i hear is that I should only trust them. People in Bangladesh can't be trusted they say. Then they take me to the nicest mall in dhaka... equivalent to no so nice of a US mall... and have me pay for lunch, and then both of thier cab rides back to thier houses. Luckily getting taken advantage of in Bangladesh is not too expensive, comming out to about 500 taka or $7.15 in American Dollars. I know that's not much, it's kind of just the principle of the thing. I should also qualify that by saying: if you had a house here and didn't need to take a 3 wheeler cab, you could get through the day on about 70 taka or 1 us dollar. As I was saying before, there are so many other really awesome people. I'll spend time getting to know them...

Hope all is well with everyone,

Keith

P.s. I posted a few more shots...

Also, when my website pulls from flikr the photo's loose some saturation. I'm almost wondering if this isn't embedded so you click on the "see full size" link. Oh well..

1 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

Shosh man! Glad to read your words!!!!! Te extraño mi hermano!!!! CIAO!!!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home