Monday, September 25, 2006

On leaving...

On Friday I headed back with the sun on the longest day of my life, starting with the sunrise in Dubai, ending, with my head hitting a pillow in San Francisco after a brief stop in New York.

Oddly enough I ended my trip in the exact reverse order I started it in: cab from the airport, Nolan’s fire escape, Zeki’s bar, food at the pizza place, and a greyhound bus back into SLO. It was extremely surreal. I just walked into Nolan’s place around 10 PM on Saturday night and sat in the dark for about 15 minutes listening to somebody play Weezer’s blue album through the wall and trying to figure out if I just went to Bangladesh or not. Say it ain't so indeed...

I’m clearly very sad to leave. Honestly, I really didn’t anticipate that being my sentiment heading back this direction. I sort of thought I’d be happy to come back, as if the trip would rejuvenate my appreciation for California. It is true that I am going to be happy to see some friends and chat over a cold beer that doesn’t require a trip to a supper dodgy joint, but I really felt that I could have stayed for much longer.

So then, was the trip was a good one? Yeah. Absolutely. It’s a little early to say, but I can probably claim life changing. It most defiantly altered my perspective and helped me define what I really want to do with my life. Most importantly, I learned a lot about myself figuring out my way around Bangladesh.

Would I do it again? Without a doubt. In fact, I’d love to go back to the subcontinent sometime in the relatively near future. Would I try to divide my time between an internship and shooting photos? Nope, one or the other. The internship ended up winning out most of the time.

My last two days in Dhaka were rather stressful wrapping up work, so I didn’t get to say goodbye to everyone that I wanted to. If your one of those people, I apologize. As I was saying, I really like Bangladesh (Bangladesh khub shundor). I have a distinct feeling that it won’t be my last time there.

Transitions seem to come at once as I guess my time in San Luis Obispo is probably coming to an end as well. I’m looking forward to graduating in December and moving on to more things like this in the future. I really hope (sorry mom and dad) that this is the start of some major geographical transitions.

Anyways, if anyone would like to get together for that beer or coffee please let me know. I loaded up on a few more fun classes (Espanol / African history) so Jack may be twiddling his paws by his lonesome. I should have more time then I did with last year’s ridiculous unit load, however, so I’m looking forward to seeing more of you still in SLO.

Anyways, here’s a narrative I over wrote and never got around to publishing about the last two weeks…

Hope to see you all soon,

Keith

P.S. I'm sitting in uptown right now waiting for my first class to start at 8. I only mention this because I just noticed the dude that usually sits in Linneas's and writes down his dreams is hanging out right behind me doing just that. Deep breath ... exhale... awwww slo.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

Oh man, I´m totally taking you up on that offer for beer or coffee...hey, how bout both!!!!!??? Hey, ahore que tienes una clase de español, podemos practicar Español tambien!!! Vamos a comer comida y tomar tragos, Y hablar solomente in español, well, perhaps not solomente en español, pero...vamos a tratar!!!! Buen idea no? Creo que si....Estoy feliz que llegaste en SLO antes de tu clase...y estoy un poco celosa tambien porque estas en uptown...*sigh* Alright, off I go....nos vemos mi amigo!!!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home