Monday, August 28, 2006

Bahalo Ache

What's this?... 2 blogs on the same day? (it will look like different days over there). I just wanted to point out two things, more for myself so I don't forget....

One of the idiosyncracies I love most about Bengal culture is when they touch thier heart after they shake hands. Also, I learned that yes is usually shrugging your head off to the side... we might say "ok sure" and do a similar gesture in the US.

One of the weirder idiosyncracies for a westerner is the fact that it is common place for men to walk down the street holding hands.

I was also thinknig about the whole being a responsible tourist thing. For instance, not paying double the price for things. It might sound stupid over there to argue about paying 20 taka for a 10 taka rikshaw ride (again 1 taka is 1/70 of a dollar), but I beleive it makes a difference to the local economy.

Perhaps, and I haven't thought it completly thorough yet, its simillar with paying "sweat shop prices" controvery. Maybe if American Companies pay over market price for services in another country, the local businesses will not be able to find the labor they need at the correct price. Essentially, it could be like walmart comming in and forcing local businesses out... instead of lower prices it's just higher wages. Perhaps the key is to not have foreign companies move the wage up faster then the local economy can move. Does this make sense? Am I sounding too conservative?

I was able to sit down today at a coffee place with a bengali guy who spoke decent english. It was rather funny, because I was just telling Christo, an Irish guy I met over here that it's hard in Bangladesh because I can't talk to everyone, to find out how they think. All of a sudden this guy starts talking to us... it was pretty cool. Anyways, I asked him what he thought about Americans, Bush, Osama Bin Laden, and the state of the world. The general consensus of the maybe 10 or so people in the coffee house was that Bush is not liked.. clinton was much better, Osama Bin Laden is not at all liked, and as far as the state of the world goes, I'll parapharase the consensus: we are all one people, our governments often do harm, they are not representative of our people. That was very touching to hear.

I was able to talk with another man who is the librarian for save the children UK in Bangladesh (he's bengali). He expressed similar sentiment to my coffee house friends.

I feel like I should mention: when I say coffee house: its a dude and a cart under a tarp with two benches. We always drink Chai... everyone uses the same cups... he just washes them and then pours boiling water into them to kill anything...

I am realy impressed. I handed one of the children my camera... I think it's cool to see what kids come up with.

On another note, I handed Christo the camera.. he took this shot. It's one of the best of the trip i think. (I'll post the shot a little later as i'm at an internet cafe w/out my laptop. '

Anyways... theres the two posts.. Have a good one... whenever that "good one" is occuring.

Btw the title means "i am well" in Bangla.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon Shuler said...

With regard to the head movment in saying yes: I'm prity sure it's an over all Indian culture thing. They do it in Sri Lanka, India, Pakastan... Anything from the one shrug to full head boble (the head rocking left and right) to indicate repsectful atention and complience, in Sri Lanka it's also a class thing. I got the head boble when ever I talked to someone taht wan't white or Rich. Even when they weren't saying yes. It's generally a sign of respect over there as well as yes. Kinda became a problem.

sorry to hear about the thing with the kids fleacing you. Just don't put your cell down anywhere and you'll be cool

11:58 AM  
Blogger Jared Bauman said...

hey keith - its been fun catching up on your blogs here. sounds like you're having an awesome time - i'm pretty jealous of your travels and all the experiences you're getting to be a part of. keep posting - maybe some pics too . . . ? haha, talk to you soon -

jared

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home